About working with KTBYTE
KTBYTE is located in Lexington, MA. We're a bootstrapped startup founded by several Cornell University Computer Science graduates who want to make top notch CS education a reality for students worldwide. Our core belief is that Computer Science can be taught in a personalized real-time manner and still scale. Our staff develops the curricula, technology, and relationships that ensure a seamless experience for novices and expert students alike.
Our employees are the most valuable assets of our company. We count on them to be knowledgable, creative, passionate, and effective. We are not a MOOC, and every employee interacts with students and parents before we build an online UX or workflow. However, we are also tireless at iterating scalable systems along side the human touch.
Working at KTBYTE is about making a direct impact on the lives of people we can see, not just accounts or users. Join us to break all limits on how much kids can learn and apply in the world.
- Front End Engineer
- Full Time Instructor
- Part Time Instructor
- Part Time Technical Advisor
- Student Teaching Assistant
Front End Engineer
- Work collaboratively with other designers, engineers, and product managers on multiple interrelated projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, and marketers on multiple interrelated projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Communicate closely with users, collect feedback/metrics, and turn them into congruent scenarios, usable flows, and simple, intuitive interfaces.
- Be an advocate for an integrated, consistent UI throughout the product, and for a cohesive set of design principles and patterns.
- Be flexible, grow, and learn fast in a startup environment
- Good taste in web design. Please submit a portfolio that showcases a proven record of delivering inventive solutions on time for demanding and complex design problems.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated with a passion for pixel perfection, consistency, organization, usability, and discoverability.
- Experience with standard design tools (Photoshop, Fireworks)
- Solid understanding of UI/UX principles
- Solid understanding of HTML5/CSS3 standards and cross-browser/cross-device web compatibility
- Experience with Java
- Can easily pick up new front-end libraries/frameworks
- Experience with Git
- Bachelor's degree or above in a technical discipline, or equivalent experience
- Strong English language skills
- You know how to fully optimize your front-end code for speed and compatibility
- Experience with front-end MV* frameworks (Vue.js, Angular, Knockout, Backbone, Ember, etc.)
- Experience with mobile web development
Teachers and Instructors
Full Time Instructor
We are always looking for teaching talent. Because teaching interests vary widely, please contact us if you're interested.
Requirements: B.A. or B.S. from top CS program. Excellent communication skills. 2+ years of software industry experience or academic research.
Part Time Assistant Instructor
- You are willing to travel to work in Lexington, MA and Newton, MA
- You absolutely love working with kids, and you're energetic and talkative
- You have some previous coding experience or you are eager to learn
- You are a fast typer, and are comfortable using different operating systems (Windows, MacOSX, etc)
- You are energetic and excited to talk to kids
- You are never late, and you can adhere to a consistent weekly schedule
- Your insatiable curiosity is contagious
- Bonus: You are open to working on weekends
- Bonus: Experience with teaching productivity and image editing software, such as Photoshop or Excel
KTBYTE provides training and apprenticeship
Compensation: $30 / hour
Hours: Afternoons and evenings, typically 10 - 20 hours a week
Part Time Technical Advisor
KTBYTE is a growing bootstrapped education startup with an aggressive model: high-touch high-quality services along side effective automation. We believe that teacher-student human interaction is an unrelinquishable cornerstone of education, but we also believe that we need the best technology to make such interaction consistent and scalable.
Thus, we are looking for a web programming guru who can guide us on improving our code base while helping us grow our team. You, the candidate, should be very good with picking up multiple technologies, but you should also already have extensive experience in full stack web development (preferably with Java). You will work part time, but be open to the possibilities of a long term leadership role. Some responsibilities include:
- Advise us on technologies for front end stack development, including front end frameworks, build tools, and test frameworks.
- Suggest time tables for refactoring our current code base (Client Side CSS/JS, Server side is written in Java).
- Discuss performance problems with DB queries and make schema / query recommendations.
- Recommend infrastructure best practices, including backups and EC2 scripting.
- Find us full time software developers, or transition into that role yourself.
Additionally, we have some culture fit requirements:
- High integrity, and a commitment to our mission to make top notch CS education a reality.
- Extremely motivated, with an extremely high attention to detail.
- Ability to delegate and communicate, in addition to showing by example.
- Can commit to a consistent number of hours per week (although the number of hours is negotiable).
- Ability to self-manage while mentoring others.
- Available for meetings at least twice a week on Tuesday - Friday between noon and 4pm or after 10pm (Eastern Time).
- Hourly rate plus equity with vesting schedule, dependent on level of engagement.
Student Software Engineering Intern
Come to our office and help us build software for our students. You will learn software engineering through real world practice and assignments.
- Played around with git before (via the command line)
- CS02a or above programming experience (AP Computer Science Level)
- Must come to our Lexington office at least 10 hours a week
- $10 to $25 per hour.
Student Teaching Assistant
Teaching assistants (TAs) provide personal guidance to other students of all levels. They meet with students online via web conference or in person. Their responsibilities encompass a broad range of tasks, from helping students learn how to debug a game project -- to drawing out how a sophisticated tree/graph algorithm works. Teaching Assistants are picked out of KTBYTE's best students, especially those with competition or leadership experience. Because the teaching is often done one on one, TAs have to have strong emotional intelligence in addition to technical expertise.
TAs also have to multitask a lot. For example, a TA may have to come up with personalized examples to fit the personalities of the student -- while simultaneously determining the student's past experience and current challenges. Needless to say, the act of TAing is a good learning opportunity, in addition to be a rewarding way to help others like yourself.
- $10 to $25 per hour.